Disability Accommodations Policies and Procedures

Students who wish to request accommodations in accordance with the American with Disabilities Act Amendments Act of 2008 or Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act (1973) should follow the instructions below and complete the required paperwork.

Process to Request and Receive Reasonable Accommodations:

  1. Completely fill out and submit both a Disability Accommodation Request Form and Verification of Disability Form (ideally at least 2 weeks prior to the start of the academic year or as soon as possible following the discovery of a new qualifying condition). Verification of a disability should be current, within the last 3 years. The Disability Accommodation Request can be requested via the form below or email info@oakvalleycollege.org. The Verification of Disability Form, which is completed by a physician or other professional may be required.

  2. Allow 14 educational days to process your request. During that time, the President’s Office (or designee) will evaluate your request and make a determination of the reasonableness of the requested accommodation(s) and the length of time for each accommodation (e.g., is it a one-time accommodation or accommodation that needs to be evaluated from time to time?). You will be contacted when this determination has been made.

  3. After receiving the determination of reasonable accommodations, make contact with the President’s Office at the beginning of each semester to pick up an approved Accommodation Form to deliver to each professor, as necessary.

  4. Meet with each professor to discuss the accommodations that will be necessary in each specific course. In order to ensure adequate time for arranging reasonable accommodations, you must notify your professor(s) at the beginning of each semester (or as soon as you are determined eligible for accommodations) for an on-going accommodation (e.g., note-taking), OR at least 7 calendar days prior to each exam/assignment/event for which the agreed-upon reasonable accommodations is required. Follow the protocol for initiating each service as stated on the Form or as decided between you and the professor. Failure to follow these steps may prevent provision of the agreed-upon reasonable accommodations.

    • Note: Professors may not unilaterally deny or substantively modify accommodations deemed reasonable on the Form. Professors must contact the Dean directly with questions concerning accommodations.

  5. Notify the Dean if you need to change your accommodation(s) (ideally at least 2 weeks prior to the start of the semester, or as soon as possible following the discovery of a new qualifying condition or a change in an existing condition).

  6. If dissatisfied with the decision of the Dean regarding accommodations, or about the quality, efficiency, timeliness, or effectiveness of a provided accommodation, you may appeal through the grievance process within 5 educational days of the decision or action that is challenged (www.oakvalleycollege.org/grievance). You may also choose to file a complaint with the Office for Civil Rights of the U.S. Department of Education. The Office of Civil Rights investigates timely filed complaints for which they have jurisdiction (more information about the Office of Civil Rights).

  7. For requests involving service or assistance animals, please contact the President’s Office..

A Note On Previous Accommodations

Transitioning from one educational institution to another will often bring with it a significant amount of changes, challenges, and experiences. It is important to understand that the reasonable accommodations you might have received elsewhere may not be the exact ones you will be authorized to receive at your next educational institution. This is particularly true in postsecondary education where IEPs, 504 Plans and IDEA no longer apply. In fact, each postsecondary institution has the right to evaluate a student’s request for reasonable accommodations and determine which ones they will authorize. This is based on an evaluation of the disability documentation and consultation with the student, in addition to the resources available at the institution.


1. The law does not require particular documentation as verification of a disability. In rare circumstances, the Dean or designee may grant reasonable accommodations without third-party verification or with documentation older than 3 years in instances where the disability is self-evident.

2. Professors disputing the provision of an academic accommodation may appeal to the Dean. The Dean will make a decision within 5 educational days of the professor’s complaint; in the interim, the disputed accommodation(s) will continue to be in effect.

Name *
Please detail the nature of the disability, the desired accommodation, and any other information to support your request. NOTE: Requests are not automatically granted and a physician or other professional may be required to verify the nature of your disability.