Build A Company on Intellectual Property
Learn how to start an innovation-based business – Find an intellectual property idea, make your company investor ready and get funds, launch the idea as a new business.
IP to IPO: Securing Technologies, Equity Crowdfunding, and Micro-IPOs
Every year, billions of dollars go into funding innovations at federal laboratories and research universities. Did you know that many industry-disruptive products such as GoPro, GPS, and memory foam mattress were based on innovative technologies that were first developed at federal laboratories?
Whether you are an aspiring, struggling, or successful entrepreneur, attend our intensive IP to IPO™ one-day training program and learn the fundamentals of starting an innovation-based business – from getting the idea (securing the IP), to funding it (making your company investor-ready), to launching it.
Is IP to IPO for You?
Opportunity-Seeking Entrepreneurs – Yes! The world of intellectual property is flooded with opportunities to build profitable businesses. You will walk away from this workshop with the tools, templates, and knowledge to navigate this world and successfully launch a new business.
Veteran Entrepreneurs – Yes! Intellectual property attorneys are some of the best paid professionals in their industry. The IP to IPO Workshop will hand you the keys to the castle. You get templates and proven plans for acquisition, funding agreements, pricing models, marketing and PR, and much much more. If you are ready to make a move into the IP space, this workshop is essential to your success.
Corporate Entities – Yes! Most companies have developed a treasure trove of intellectual property over the course of their existence. That treasure has value, and after attending the IP to IPO Workshop, you will know how to turn that value into a revenue source for the company.
Learning Topics for the one day IP to IPO workshop
1. Securing IPs developed by leading research institutions
- Connecting with federal laboratories and research institutions
- Selecting an innovation/IP
- Conducting due diligence
- Negotiating and structuring licensing agreements
- Forming your business using the proper entity
2. Equity Crowdfunding
- Making your company investor ready
- Preparing and building your crowdfunding campaign
- Working with leading crowdfunding platform StartEngine to raise $100K, $1M or up to $50M
3. Preparing for a micro-IPO
- Overview of the public equity market
- Options for going public
- Understanding the process and identifying key capital partners/vendors
- Preparing for listing in the U.S. and abroad
Request more information
Complete this form, and our Program Director will contact you.
Our programs are custom built for the intended audience. If you want to bring the IP to IPO program to your audience, we should talk.
Full Four-Day Workshop
In addition to the one-day IP to IPO crash course workshop, we are developing a comprehensive four-day workshop that will detail a broader set of IP business topics including human resources, marketing, mergers and acquisitions, and more.
Day 1 - 9 am-noon Innovation Business Models and Identifying Innovation Opportunities
- Business cycle - start-up to exit
- Business expectations
Day 1 - 1-4 pm - Forming Venture-suitable Business
- Corporate structure and formation
- Capitalization table
- Options plan
Day 2 - 9 am - noon - Capital Development
- Preparing the business plan
- Use of proceeds
- Investors - identification and presentation
Day 2 - 1 - 4 pm - Deal Structure
- Convertible debt
Day 3 - 9 am - noon - Team Development
- Building culture
- Management structure
- Board development and management
- Compensation structure
Day 3 - 1 - 4 pm - Product and Intellectual Property (IP) Development
- Categories - software, hardware, life science, other
- Development cycles
- IP and enterprise value
- Managing licensed IP
- Extending and licensing additional IP
- Litigation and defense strategies
Day 4 - 9 am - noon - Business Development
- Marketing and PR
- Consumer - direct and retail
- Business to business (B2B)
- Strategic channel partners
Day 4 = 1 - 4 pm - Growth Strategies and Wrap-up
- Merger and acquisition (M&A)
- Going public
- Words of wisdom
- Next steps - what to do Monday morning